LSE Cities is an international centre at the London School of Economics and Political Science that carries out research, education and outreach activities in London and abroad. Its mission is to study how people and cities interact in a rapidly urbanising world, focusing on how the design of cities impacts on society, culture and the environment. Through research, conferences, teaching and projects, the centre aims to shape new thinking and practice on how to make cities fairer and more sustainable for the next generation of urban dwellers, who will make up some 70 per cent of the global population by 2050.
Jan19Through dramatic stories, penetrating insights, and research from around the world, Judith Rodin, the president of the Rockefeller Foundation, discussed how people, organisations, businesses, communities, and cities have developed resilience in the face of otherwise catastrophic challenges._Urban Memoryscapes examines the means by which collective and public memory is inscribed and contested in urban space.
LSE Cities Summary Report on Density and Urban Neighbourhoods in London features in The Guardian piece on ‘How to make high population London work’. To read the full article click here.
As a member of the Editorial Board for the current issue of the Urban Affairs Review, Nuno Ferreira da Cruz is featured in the welcoming message of appreciation. For further details click here.
Chris Papadopoullos features LSE Cities research on density in City AM. Ricky Burdett is quoted as stating that London “is one of the least dense megacities of the world: half the density of New York, and a small percentage of super-dense cities like Shanghai or Hong Kong,”. For more information click here.
- 16 Jan 2015 | LSE Cities Philipp Rode presents at Colloquium on International Comparative Urban Research in Stuttgart
- 14 Jan 2015 | Applications now open for LSE Cities Summer Executive Programme on London and Global Cities
- 13 Jan 2015 | LSE Cities Suzi Hall presented at seminar on The Urban Diasporama: Rethinking Globalisation from Below
- 5 Jan 2015 | Adam Greenfield’s Urban Age conference newspaper article featured in the Guardian
- 18 Dec 2014 | We launch our LSE Cities Report 2012-14
- 17 Dec 2014 | LSE Cities organises European Metromonitor workshops for London Sixth Formers
- 15 Dec 2014 | LSE Cities Philipp Rode interviewed by The Economist