Sep11This workshop examines the ways in which knowledge on various aspects of urbanism is produced, gathered, shared, or used by various actors, and how its circulation at once mediates, mitigates and creates urban uncertainty.Sep16Greenfield lays out the contours of a networked urbanism that responds to an entirely different set of prerogatives — one that is participatory, adaptive, inherently resilient, and just.
LSE Cities is an international centre at the London School of Economics and Political Science that carries out research, education and outreach activities in London and abroad. Its mission is to study how people and cities interact in a rapidly urbanising world, focusing on how the design of cities impacts on society, culture and the environment. Through research, conferences, teaching and projects, the centre aims to shape new thinking and practice on how to make cities fairer and more sustainable for the next generation of urban dwellers, who will make up some 70 per cent of the global population by 2050.
Are buses the future of public transport? Adam Greenfield considers the success of Latin America’s BRT systems in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/aug/27/buses-future-of-urban-transport-brt-bus-rapid-transit
Dr Don Slater and Mona Sloane have been interviewed by Illumni magazine about the Configuring Light project. To read the interview, click here: http://www.illumni.co/the-dr-don-slater-mona-sloane-interview/
Jonathan Silver looks at lessons Detroit can take from Johannesburg as authorities and activists deal with the city’s water crisis in his blog post for LSE Africa ‘Disconnected in Detroit: Water shut-offs through the prism of African cities’. Click here to read the full article.
- 4 Aug 2014 | Watch Suzi Hall lecture at Max Planck Institute
- 31 Jul 2014 | Read the LSE Cities’ MSc City Design Research Studio publication
- 30 Jul 2014 | Now launched: The Urban Governance Survey by UN Habitat, UCLG and LSE Cities
- 29 Jul 2014 | Theatrum Mundi at the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2014
- 22 Jul 2014 | LSE Cities’ Suzanne Hall speaks to Al Jazeera UK
- 21 Jul 2014 | LSE Cities’ Suzanne Hall’s research featured in The Guardian 21 July 2014
- 21 Jul 2014 | LSE Cities’ Sobia Kaker presented her research at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, July 2014