Jun30London and Global Cities: Governance, Planning and Design is an intensive exploration and analysis of the governance, planning and design of London, drawing parallels with and implications for other major cities.Apr3Isher Ahluwalia outlined insights from her recent book to offer an analysis of the challenges and opportunities facing Indian cities at this critical juncture.
LSE Cities is an international centre at the London School of Economics and Political Science that carries out research, education and outreach activities in London and abroad. Its mission is to study how people and cities interact in a rapidly urbanising world, focusing on how the design of cities impacts on society, culture and the environment. Through research, conferences, teaching and projects, the centre aims to shape new thinking and practice on how to make cities fairer and more sustainable for the next generation of urban dwellers, who will make up some 70 per cent of the global population by 2050.
LSE Cities has launched a new free online resource, supported by the Higher Education Innovation Fund, which shows the impact of economic recession and recovery in over 150 of Europe’s largest metropolitan areas.
Bloomberg Philanthropies today revealed the 21 European cities that have emerged as final contenders in its 2013-2014 Mayors Challenge, a competition to inspire cities to generate innovative ideas that solve major challenges and improve city life, and that ultimately can spread to other cities. LSE Cities’ Ricky Burdett is on the panel that will select […]
Ricky Burdett joined fellow LSE professors Craig Calhoun, Danny Quah, Sir Chris Pissarides, Tim Besley and Arne Westad in a Graduation Ceremony and one-day conference on Building Asian Futures organised as part of this year’s LSE Asia Forum held in Kuala Lumpur on 3 April 2014. Burdett coordinated a session on ‘Cities and Urbanisation’, chaired […]
LSE Cities convened a session on “Cities and the New Climate Economy: Infrastructure, Innovation and the Spatial Fix” at the World Urban Forum (WUF7) in Medellin, Colombia on 10 April 2014. Attended by a diverse group of urban practitioners, researchers and policy makers, the session was structured around ongoing work for the Global Commission on […]
- 14 Apr 2014 | Theatrum Mundi hosts CITY RELIGION CAPITALISM with the Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin
- 14 Apr 2014 | LSE Cities’ Jonathan Silver presented at Southern African Cities Conference at WITS University in Johannesburg
- 10 Apr 2014 | Ricky Burdett’s Harvard School of Design lecture now online
- 9 Apr 2014 | LSE Cities World Urban Forum Session: Cities and the New Climate Economy: Infrastructure, Innovation and the Spatial Fix
- 9 Apr 2014 | LSE Cities’ Fran Tonkiss interviewed in Uncube
- 3 Apr 2014 | LSE Cities at the World Urban Forum Medellín, Colombia | 5-11 April 2014
- 3 Apr 2014 | LSE Cities’ Ricky Burdett and Philipp Rode write for The Edge Malaysia