- Delivering the next economy
Bruce Katz: We must embrace a bold vision for U.S. metropolitan regions that encourages them to leverage their assets and transition to a new economic growth model. Watch online.
- Education system is broken
Richard Daley, Mayor of Chicago: Our education system is antiquated and broken. We need to create a “learning environment,” where an entire community helps teach its children. Watch online.
- Extending Bush Tax Cuts Right Thing to Do
Michael Nutter, Mayor, Philadelphia: Extending the Bush tax cuts was the right thing for President Obama to do in order to continue certain programs such as payments for unemployed workers. Watch online.
- California Pension Plans Must Be Changed
Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor, Los Angeles, CA: California‘s pension plans are draining state coffers and are unsustainable. Workers need to accept that these benefit packages will have to be changed. Watch online.
- At the Dawn of New Industrial Revolution
Josef Ackermann, Deutsche Bank: We are standing at the dawn of a new industrial revolution and we must ready our economies to meet the challenges and opportunities of this new age. Watch online.
- Need to Think About Urban Under Class
Ronald Daniels, President, Johns Hopkins University: As we think about how we’re going to plan for the future, we need to also think about the future of the urban under classes. Watch online.
- Obama Administration Encourages Bottom Up Approach
Derek Douglas, White House Domestic Policy Council: The Obama administration encourages the “bottom up approach,” where state and local governments address issues in their own way. Watch online.
- European, Asian Growth Learned from U.S.
Greg Clark, London School of Economics & Political Science: Much of the explosive growth many European and Asian countries are now experiencing is due to lessons they learned from decades of U.S. expansion. Watch online.
- Recipient of Global Metro Award
Richard Daley, Mayor of Chicago: The Global Metro Award recognizes a career dedicated to improving the quality of life for the people of Chicago. Watch online.
- Welcome and Keynote addresses
Remarks by Michael Hogan, Strobe Talbott, Josef Ackermann
8 December 2010 Length: 34:15 Download audio file (27 MB)
- Delivering the Next Economy
Remarks by Bruce Katz
8 December 2010 Length: 30:38 Download audio file (24 MB)
- Response Discussion and Q&A, Moderated by Henry Cisneros
Ronald Daniels, Derek Douglas, Tadahiko Ishigaki, Dan’l Lewin and Saskia Sassen
8 December 2010 Length: 01:14:11 Download audio file (59 MB)
- Metropolitan Economic Development
Remarks by Greg Clark
8 December 2010 Length: 26:41 Download audio file (21 MB)
- Response Discussion and Q&A, moderated by Rickey Burdett
Remarks by Brad Whitehead, Jordi Williams Carnes, Chris Endresen, R.T. Rybak and Sergio Chiamparino
8 December 2010 Length: 57:41 Download audio file (46 MB)
- Luncheon Remarks; Panel on Emerging Markets and Global Urbanization
Christopher Kennedy; Bruce Katz, Ricky Burdett, Joan Clos and Jose Serra
8 December 2010 Length: 31:09 Download audio file (25 MB)
- A Conversation with Leading U.S. Mayors, chaired by Richard Stengel
Richard Daley, Michael Nutter and Antonio Villaraigosa
8 December 2010 Length: 44:08 Download audio file (35 MB)
- Global Metro Award
Hon. Richard M. Daley, City of Chicago
8 December 2010 Length: 05:28 Download audio file (5 MB)