Shaping Cities in an Urban Age is the third in the series. Previous titles include Living in the Endless City (2011) and The Endless City (2007).The 17th Urban Age conference will focus on the development of cities in rapidly urbanising countries, convening urban experts, policymakers and practitioners from sub-Saharan Africa and other world cities.
LSE Cities will provide comparative research on metropolitan governance, economic development, social cohesion, gender equality, sustainability, and quality of life.Oct10Best-selling author Eric Klinenberg argued the future of democratic societies rests not simply on shared values but on shared spaces – our libraries, parks, markets, schools, playgrounds, gardens and communal spaces.
Philipp Rode, Executive Director of LSE Cities and Urban Age will speak at Global Cities: New Powers in Security, Migration and Development on 17 October 2018. As cities and mayors become responsible for policy areas traditionally considered the remit of national authorities, speakers will analyse local leadership in international security and migration, highlighting its implications for London and other global hubs.
Architecture studio Barclay & Crousse has won the Mies Crown Hall Americas Prize for Emerging Architecture 2018 for Edificio E, a concrete university built in northern Peru. Ricky Burdett, Director of LSE Cities and Jury Chair of the prize praised the concrete school’s “unexpected complexity, intensity and richness”.
- 11 Oct 2018 | LSE Cities seminar series: The Emotional Life of the City
- 4 Oct 2018 | Urban Age remembers French sociologist Sophie Body-Gendrot
- 28 Sep 2018 | Podcast: Launch of Shaping Cities in an Urban Age in London
- 27 Sep 2018 | Three new research notes on Governing Infrastructure Interfaces
- 26 Sep 2018 | Ricky Burdett to launch Shaping Cities in an Urban Age in London
- 21 Sep 2018 | Tim White wins ESRC PhD scholarship to research on ‘co-living’
- 20 Sep 2018 | Former Visiting Fellow publishes book on urban regeneration in Johannesburg
- 18 Sep 2018 | Shaping Cities in an Urban Age book launched at Venice Biennale
- 7 Sep 2018 | Ricky Burdett talks on Designing Equitable Cities in Goa
- 30 Aug 2018 | Alexandra Gomes, Peter Griffiths to deliver London Design Festival workshop