Jan23Based on a new research report comparing Asia’s divergent city models of Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Hong Kong, this talk will focus on the relationship of land and energy resources with city form, urban dwelling and mobility.Feb23Across the developing world, the pace of urbanisation has outstripped the ability of governments to facilitate decent, affordable housing for citizens. Experts debate the policy options.
Feb13Displacement is increasingly understood as neoliberal urbanism or gentrification. Ananya Roy uses LA to argue that a new conceptual repertoire of urban studies must contend with white liberalism and racism.The International Growth Centre’s Myanmar office has collaborated with LSE Cities on this first step towards developing a more in-depth research programme on urban development in Yangon.
Julia King, Research Fellow at LSE Cities, will chair “ Transforming Cities? Gentrification and Urban Contestation in Istanbul and London ” on 7 February at the London School of Economics. The talk will draw on examples from two or Europe’s biggest cities to reflect on the consequences of urban regeneration and gentrification on social justice and public spaces. The panel is organised by Centre for Policy […]
Ricky Burdett, Director of LSE Cities and Urban Age, will moderate a public debate at the Norman Foster Foundation Digital X Workshop in Madrid on 16 January 2018. The workshop will explore the relationships between architecture and an increasingly prevalent digital world. Burdett will be joined by double-amputee Hugh Herr, whose bionic limbs are aimed at eliminating disability, and Kent Larson who directs the […]
- 10 Jan 2018 | GLA funds extension to London Expanding Density project
- 5 Jan 2018 | ‘Key finance mechanisms are available to deliver sustainable urbanisation’ – new working paper
- 3 Jan 2018 | Watch Philipp Rode’s talk on the Frontiers of City Governance
- 2 Jan 2018 | Richard Sennett recognised in the 2018 New Year’s Honours for design
- 15 Dec 2017 | Ricky Burdett publishes an article on inequality and urban development in Spain’s Revista de Libros
- 14 Dec 2017 | New working paper highlights disconnect between national policies and building more compact cities
- 6 Dec 2017 | Philipp Rode to speak at Oskar von Miller Forum
- 30 Nov 2017 | LSE awarded Queen’s Anniversary Prize for work on cities
- 29 Nov 2017 | Marco Di Nunzio to host Urban Africa Seminar on land
- 27 Nov 2017 | Alexandra Gomes speaks on Resource Urbanisms at Newcastle University