Jan23Based on a new research report comparing Asia’s divergent city models of Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Hong Kong, this talk will focus on the relationship of land and energy resources with city form, urban dwelling and mobility.Feb23Across the developing world, the pace of urbanisation has outstripped the ability of governments to facilitate decent, affordable housing for citizens. Experts debate the policy options.
LSE Cities will provide comparative research on metropolitan governance, economic development, social cohesion, gender equality, sustainability, and quality of life.Feb13Displacement is increasingly understood as neoliberal urbanism or gentrification. Ananya Roy uses LA to argue that a new conceptual repertoire of urban studies must contend with white liberalism and racism.
Metropolis, a world association of major metropolises, has partnered with LSE Cities to develop a system of comparative indicators and collect the corresponding data for a range of major cities and metropolitan areas. The growth of large metropolitan areas like megacities, urban regions and corridors presents new challenges for the management of territories, however, there is a substantial lack […]
Julia King, Research Fellow at LSE Cities, will chair “ Transforming Cities? Gentrification and Urban Contestation in Istanbul and London ” on 7 February at the London School of Economics. The talk will draw on examples from two or Europe’s biggest cities to reflect on the consequences of urban regeneration and gentrification on social justice and public spaces. The panel is organised by Centre for Policy […]
- 15 Jan 2018 | Ricky Burdett to moderate Digital X debate in Madrid
- 10 Jan 2018 | GLA funds extension to London Expanding Density project
- 5 Jan 2018 | ‘Key finance mechanisms are available to deliver sustainable urbanisation’ – new working paper
- 3 Jan 2018 | Watch Philipp Rode’s talk on the Frontiers of City Governance
- 2 Jan 2018 | Richard Sennett recognised in the 2018 New Year’s Honours for design
- 15 Dec 2017 | Ricky Burdett publishes an article on inequality and urban development in Spain’s Revista de Libros
- 14 Dec 2017 | New working paper highlights disconnect between national policies and building more compact cities
- 6 Dec 2017 | Philipp Rode to speak at Oskar von Miller Forum
- 30 Nov 2017 | LSE awarded Queen’s Anniversary Prize for work on cities
- 29 Nov 2017 | Marco Di Nunzio to host Urban Africa Seminar on land