Experiencing Density is a joint project between LSE Cities and LSE London exploring how residents experience life in different forms of high-density housing in London.
‘Experiencing Density’ is a project jointly led by LSE Cities and LSE London that explores resident experiences of life in London’s new high-density housing. Following on from a 2004 report by LSE Cities on high-density housing as an emergent trend, this interdisciplinary study will explore who lives in high-density developments, how different residents experience life in high-density accommodation, and what spatial, design and demographic factors make them work well (or not).
In many other global cities such as Hong Kong, New York City and Singapore, high-density living is the norm. However, this mode of residential building at this scale is a relatively new phenomenon in London, which has historically been characterised as a low-rise city of terraced houses and private gardens. If the capital is to accommodate a rapidly growing population without impinging on the Green Belt, as Mayor Sadiq Khan has promised, then new developments across the capital will inevitably increasingly take high-density forms. This research therefore aims to inform policy-makers and developers how such schemes can work best for their residents, and for London as a whole.
The project is qualitative in nature, and will focus on ten case studies across London that demonstrate high-density housing across a range of built forms, levels of density, and tenure types. A mixed-method approach will be utilised, incorporating surveys, in-depth interviews, and novel creative techniques such as resident diaries and tracking apps in order to develop a multifaceted understanding of contemporary life in high-density homes.
- 8 Jul 2019 | Short film: High density living in London
- 21 Sep 2018 | Tim White wins ESRC PhD scholarship to research on ‘co-living’
- 7 Aug 2018 | Experiencing Density research to expand with Knowledge Exchange award
- 12 Apr 2018 | Tim White on how built-to-rent won’t solve the housing crisis
- 10 Jan 2018 | GLA funds extension to London Expanding Density project
- Research reports
- Kath Scanlon, Tim White and Fanny Blanc. (2018). "Residents’ experience of high-density housing in London: LSE London/LSE Cities report for the GLA". Greater London Authority, London.
- Density and Urban Neighbourhoods in London — publication details | download full PDF (15.8 MB)
- Magazine articles