In collaboration with the Brookings Institution, Washington D.C, this research project analysed new urban and metropolitan economies emerging after the 2008 financial crisis.
The Next Urban Economy investigation analysed new urban and metropolitan economies emerging after the current economic recession.
Jointly developed by LSE Cities and the Brookings Institution, Washington D.C., research in 2010 investigated how the recession has altered the trajectory of growth in major metropolitan areas across the USA, Europe and, to a less extent, Asia. The project specifically examined the case study cities of Barcelona, Munich, Seoul and Torino, and the successful urban economic transformations these cities have led, underpinned by emerging economic sectors, good governance models and the promotion of effective approaches to urban policies.
Within this context the research included a special focus on the urban development potential of the “green economy” and innovation. The research was presented at the Global Metro Summit on 7-8 December 2010 in Chicago and was published in 2012.
In partnership with Brookings Institution’s Metropolitan Policy Program and Deutsche Bank Research, LSE Cities has developed the Global MetroMonitor. Expanding the model of Brookings’ MetroMonitor, an interactive barometer of the health of America’s metropolitan economies, this global dataset presents the diverse metropolitan landscapes of recession and recovery across different nations and world regions. The Global MetroMonitor, ranking the top 150 economically resilient cities in the world based on their growth in employment and economic output per person before, during, and after the global downturn, was published and launched on 30 November 2010.
- 9 Feb 2011 | How Barcelona is banishing ghettos: Architectural Review on Barcelona at the Global Metro Summit
- 13 Jan 2011 | Global Metros Beating the Recession
- 4 Jan 2011 | Mayor Chiamparino discusses Torino and the Global Metro Summit
- 20 Dec 2010 | Süddeutsche Zeitung explores the Global Metro Summit
- 12 Dec 2010 | Lessons for a Modern City: the Global Metro Summit in the New York Times
- 9 Dec 2010 | Mayors Rybak and Coleman join the Global Metro Summit
- 7 Dec 2010 | Barcelona at the Global Metro Summit
- 7 Dec 2010 | Global Metro Summit to feature Northeast Ohio