The Resource Urbanisms project is co-funded by LSE Kuwait Programme and it aims at examining multiple aspects of how natural resources, urban form and infrastructure affect each other and potentially lead to the establishment of divergent forms of urbanism.
‘Resource Urbanisms: Natural resources, urban form and infrastructure in the case of Asia’s diverging city models’ is a two-year LSE Cities research project co-funded by LSE Kuwait Programme/LSE Middle East Centre to examine multiple aspects of how natural resources, urban form and infrastructure affect each other and potentially lead to the establishment of divergent forms of urbanism.
The project’s point of departure is the common assumption that cities and urban development are directly affected by the availability and costs of natural resources, and that in turn, different forms of urban development result in substantial differences in resource use. The project will primarily focus on the specific case of two natural resources, land and energy, and explore their relationships with city form, urban dwelling and mobility. It will analyse these relationships through a comparative case study approach which considers extreme and divergent city models in Asia.
The research will include the multi-scale temporal analysis of different types and changes of urban development in Kuwait and Abu Dhabi (a second Middle East comparator case) and two contrasting city types in East Asia, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- 7 November 2017 | Efficiency by Design: Urban growth in Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong and Singapore
- 22 March 2017 | Resource Urbanisms Project Workshop - London
- 3 November 2016 | Kuwait Transformed: A History of Oil and Urban Life
- 28 September 2016 | Resource Urbanisms Project Workshop - Kuwait
- 27 September 2016 | Cities and the new climate economy: on the role of urban form and transport
- 26 September 2016 | Resource Urbanisms Project Workshop - Abu Dhabi
- 27 Nov 2017 | Alexandra Gomes speaks on Resource Urbanisms at Newcastle University
- 7 Nov 2017 | Philipp Rode launches Resource Urbanisms report in Kuwait
- 8 Sep 2017 | Philipp Rode presents Resource Urbanisms research at ETH Zurich
- 6 Sep 2017 | Philipp Rode to deliver keynote at International Housing Forum
- 10 Jul 2017 | Resource Urbanisms presented at AESOP conference
- 27 Apr 2017 | Alexandra Gomes contributes to planning and environmental management seminar at the University of Manchester
- 29 Mar 2017 | Muhammad Adeel to present on resource urbanisms project in Paris
- 27 Sep 2016 | Philipp Rode presents on cities and the new climate economy in Kuwait
- 28 Jul 2015 | New LSE Cities research project on Resource Urbanisms